Friday, February 8, 2013

Climbing in January


Ian belaying Jon on a 5.12


So Sunday was a day of interesting things. One, we went rock climbing in the middle of winter (epic!). Two, our friends, Robyn and Ethan, introduced us to a magical place called WinCo...this is a grocery store with the biggest bulk food section you can imagine (minds blown, money well spent). Three, it was unexpectedly the day before I would quit my job in a crazy turn of events (but I got another one in less than 48 hours with better pay, so they can sit on it).  :) :)

So Ethan and Robyn invited us along with them to climb down in Twin Falls at a place called Dierkes. Despite the rock being cold, we learned some pretty neat winter climbing tricks to keep our feet and hands warm.

Tip #1: Keep hand warmers in your chalk bag
Tip #2: Keep your climbing shoes zipped inside your puffy while you aren't climbing

It was sort of annoying to be constantly changing from climbing shoes, to regular shoes, to climbing shoes again, but it was totally worth it. I felt really accomplished when I completed two 5.7s, which was a first for me :) I attempted a 5.8 but was pumped out at that point. I'm determined to climb it next time!

It was cool climbing with such talented people. Ethan, Robyn, and Jon were climbing 5.12s, which was very impressive. We also met up with another couple, Ian and Lindsay, and they were equally as talented. All of us were from Hailey, so it's nice to have found a solid group of climbers to meet at the climbing wall or take trips with.

Here are some pics:


At the top of my first 5.7


Taking a little tiger snooze on my second 5.7


Stupid sun spot on my camera sort of washed Jon out in this one, but here he is climbing a 5.10


Ethan climbing a 5.12d? I wish I remembered the names of these routes.


After we finished up with rope climbing, we headed over to do some bouldering (which I did not participate in--but at least I was there to take pictures!). There, we met up with some more people, and joined forces to tackle some problems. Check it out:


Bo attempting a problem


Ethan reaching the top


Ian flashing his problem


I wish I had taken pictures of WinCo, because it honestly is worthy of pictures. But instead, here are some miscellaneous pictures of the rest of the day:


Some pretty cool bright, green moss growing on the icy rock

Robyn and her new friend, Bagheera



The Perrine Bridge in Twin Falls. We missed seeing a base jumper jump off this thing by seconds.


The falls of Twin Falls?

No comments:

Post a Comment